Senior DevOps Engineer
We have an excellent multi-year consulting engagement for a Senior DevOps Engineer.
Our client is cabinet level federal agency and we need a senior technical leader to be the point person for our new team on the client’s site in Washington DC. We are looking for someone who applies DevOps best practices of automation, TDD and Infrastructure/Everything as a Code to deliver technical solutions to product teams and American citizens.
- The Principal DevOps Engineer is responsible for any and all tasks related to the performance, stability, reliability, efficiency, and security to both the sites and the general team operations. Responsibility also extends to how incidents are managed and operated.
- Proactive relationship building and communication essential in this role. This includes engagements with internal clients, and 3rd-Parties to ensure continuous improvements in system architecture, deployments, automation, and configuration management.
- Evangelize and teach a best-in-class DevOps IT service delivery culture for our business. Work across the engineering team to influence software development to meet the cloud needs and influence product and cloud engineering to improve the manageability and the supportability of the cloud products.
- Advocate for adoption of integrated DevSecOps across the organization. Help drive the breaking down of the enterprise security silo by cultivating a symbiotic relationship between security and other business units, and increasing product quality and delivery velocity by adding security specific techniques and toolsets to DevOps practices.
- Design and develop complete end to end automation environment using configuration/auto-scaling tools.
- Define standards for configuration, monitoring, reliability, scalability, performance optimization and capacity planning of new infrastructure focused on 99.9%+ uptime.
- Ability to operate in cross-functional engineering teams to build supportable, sustainable, and reliable services.
- A keen interest in Open Source and a desire to contribute back to the community and other departments.
- Knowledge of content inspection security controls at the boundary.
- Experience of working in an Agile Delivery Team, demonstrating strong communication and presentation skills.
- Strategize with the teams to develop new technology initiatives with a primary focus on availability, supportability, scalability, security, and performance.
- Configure and tune an enterprise monitoring and instrumentation system(s) to efficiently detect existing issues and predict future issues based on trends.
- Stay up-to-date with technology. Recurrently advance your technical skill-sets.
- Continuously improve via taking justifiable risks, not being afraid to fail.
- Be flexible and at the same time push back respectfully to ensure we are doing what is best for the company in the long run.
- Hold vendors accountable and set the bar high, ensure they deliver above expectations.
- Challenge the status quo by recommending / pushing for changes that improve reliability and velocity.
- 5+ years of hands-on experience as an individual contributor in a systems administration/development or DevOps role working on highly scalable distributed systems.
- Experience supporting mission-critical platforms, both physical and virtualized environments, using RedHat, Ubuntu, etc.
- Expertise with network and application performance solutions (e.g. OPNET / Riverbed Netcollector (formerly OPNET VNE Server) and/or similar products)
- Experience working with or integrating various enterprise management systems (e.g. HP BSM / OpenView / BTO and/or similar products)
- Strong experience with configuration management systems such as Ansible, Puppet or Chef.
- Solid understanding of end-to-end technology stacks which include but is not limited to OS, Network, Application, Relational & Nonrelation Databases, interacting with APIs and Security (network & application).
- A solid understanding of cloud-based architectures and concepts. Extensive knowledge and hands-on experience of/in AWS and Azure (including serverless technologies, APIs, AI, Machine Learning, Kubernetes, etc.).
- Experience implementing self-service solutions to reduce workload on the DevOps team and allow Development and business teams be more self-sufficient and responsive.
- Strong knowledge and experience in automation of systems, platforms and environments.
- Proven experience leading positive change, cultivating product technology visions and innovative solutions, and fostering effective engineering practices and culture.
- Experience in driving process improvements, with a strong focus on leveraging technology for the establishment of fluid interactions and interfaces between teams.
- Ability to communicate and transfer knowledge clearly and effectively in both technical and non-technical manners.
- Strong ability to prioritize and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of Configuration Management Tools.
- Solid Understanding of CI and Build Engineering.
- Understanding of Cloud Concepts, specifically AWS and Azure.
- Experience of IP Networking and physical network.
- Configuration Management; GitLab, Jenkins, Ansible Puppet, Chef.
- Environment; Linux, RedHat, Ubuntu, Docker, Kubernetes, AWS, Azure.
- Management; ELK.
- Data; Kinesis.
- Coding Languages; Python or BASH.
- Proficiency in high level languages such as Python (preferred), Ruby or Go and working on software projects in a collaborative environment such as Bitbucket or Git.
- Deep knowledge of GNU/Linux.